CPSA allows active members to earn signature status and merit awards for its two annual juried exhibitions. Each show has its own signature designation: “CPSA” for the International Exhibition and “CPX” for Explore This! (starting in 2009). Upon earning signature, artists are entitled to use the appropriate letters after their names (e.g., Vera Curnow, CPSA).
Signature status and merit awards are tracked separately for International and Explore This! To earn signature, an artist’s work must actually appear in that kind of show three times within a 10-year period. Beyond that, signature members earn a merit award with each 5 appearances (no time limit) in the following sequence:
- 3 times (within 10 years)—Signature pin and certificate
- 10 times (includes 3 times for signature)—Pin with crystal gem and certificate
- 20 times—Pin with lavender gen and certificate
- 30 times—Pin with purple gem and certificate
NOTE: Signature members also receive a certificate of recognition for each of the intermediate 5-year milestones.
Members must meet the following requirements to earn and maintain signature status and merit awards:
- Artist must join CPSA (i.e., pay dues) within the membership year of the first acceptance.
- Artist must maintain continuous CPSA membership.
- Counting begins with the year of the first appearance and continues until year 10. At that point, the first year drops off, and the count begins again from the next acceptance.
- Any lapse in membership shall result in loss of acceptances earned toward signature status prior to the lapse.
- Any lapse in membership shall result in loss of signature status and merit awards.